Sunday, August 9, 2009

Safety First.

Though I have some spots I visit regularly, the pre-Broadway show dinner can be anxiety provoking; a pre-show rush of orders is certainly not the best bet for a nut free eating experience. To combat this, I eat early and call ahead.

I was taking a friend out to a show and we popped into a diner by the show’s venue. As we were being seated, I realized that I had not taken the time to call ahead, and so I asked a waiter if I could speak to a manager. He politely informed me that the managers were all in a meeting, and asked if he could be of service. I proceeded with my shpiel and the waiter responded:

You should be okay.

Should? Should be okay?
Okay- a deep breath. This wasn’t enough to send me running for the hills but I could feel the adrenaline start to pump.

Could I please speak to a chef or a manager? It would be great if we could check whether your restaurant can accommodate my allergy

We have nuts in our kitchen but you should be okay

Okay? The waiter continued to hover, and I felt the panic rise in my throat as I struggled to sift through his confusing statement.

At this point my friend stepped in,

I think we need a minute

Ah yes, did I mention this dear friend of mine also happens to be a safe person? Allergic Girl describes this person as someone who just “Gets It.” Allergic Girl eloquently states:

By "safe" I mean, someone non-judgmental; who gets that you will be talking extensively to the kitchen to get what you need; that you may indeed order everything on the side; or that you may punk out and not eat anything at all if you don’t feel comfortable. Also a plus when dining out with special needs is someone whom you can trust if you do feel ill; who understands either that you need to go home NOW or how to help you administer medication and then help you get home or to the hospital.

Okay. Now that minute was all I needed to take a deep breath, assess the situation, and take myself out of that restaurant. We popped into a generic family-style restaurant I had eaten at dozens of times as a child and safely satisfied our pre-show munchies.

2 comments:

  1. yay you!

    "you should be okay" not promising-scary in fact.

    and yay your safe buddy!

    and yes, pre theater is tough.

    try nizza. sit at bar, ask for jed or owner rob (use my name).

    or better burger-they have an ingredient book in back.

    or five napkin burger-chef is oscar, owner is rob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for those suggestions! Times Square is definitely overwhelming, and I have a few spots that the parents could take me out to, but not very many in my price bracket, so these are great.

    ReplyDelete