Saturday, August 22, 2009

Beantown, hold the nuts


I hope you have an uneventful dinner.

I never thought that such uninspired instruction would be music to my ears- but there you have it, after three attempts (of varying degrees of success) to locate a spot to dine in my first night in Boston, we landed at Elephant Walk.

For the winding path to Elephant Walk, we start with our first phone call.


Phone Call 1:
Hello, this is Elephant Walk

Can I please speak to a manager? I have a severe allergy to nuts and I have some questions about the menu

The conversation was quite pleasant and informative. Before I had even completed my schpiel, the manager informed me that they would be able to prepare my entire meal separately, with freshly cleaned implements and utensils, and the entire restaurant staff would be informed.

I can barely contain my excitement at this point- so receptive!

And oh-by-the-way-were-you-aware? it's restaurant week in Boston, but never mind that prix fixe-order what ever you want off the menu and we'll accommodate you.

A clear communicator, who fulfilled all my allergen needs in a couple of beats, and increased my options ten fold? I noted his name and informed him that I would call back for reservations. I felt a small rush of success, time for restaurant two!

Phone Call 2:
This psuedo French restaurant, while a bit pricey (hey it was my birthday weekend) held the lure of fresh and innovative fish dishes. Although the head chef got on the phone and assured me that all safe practices would be used, they could not vary from the prix fixe menu, which had all of one unappealing fish dish. Sigh!

on to Phone Call 3:
I knew from the get-go that this one was not going to win. It was loud in the restaurant and very difficult to hear the manager's abrupt "Yo" when he got on the phone. I neatly closed the conversation- this particular gastropub would not be hearing from me tonight.

First time's the charm, clearly- I was glad I called ahead for some options, and the next time I visit my friend in Somerville, I'll have a few more places I can return to.

Shortly upon arrival we checked in with both the manager and executive chef. I felt reassured, and excited to sample the fare at this Cambodian-French restaurant.





The first course, a Chilled Avocado Citrus Soup was a welcome reprieve to the steamy August evening. A tart and creative interpretation of a summer soup, with mushrooms that helped ground dish with their earthen texture and flavor.






My second course, Croustillants aux Poires et Crevettes Flambées aux Vin Blanc - Crispy wontons layered with warm Bartlett pear and scallion, topped with natural shrimp flambéed with white wine, leeks and garlic. This was crispy, sweet, with a well balanced flavor profile.








The combination of mint, savory beef, and vermicelli in my final entree was a revelation. Set atop some Boston Green Lettuce, this perfect wrap held together the sweet, savory and spicy mint flavors for a sensory experience that still leaves me craving this dish.




Three courses. Skip desert. Totally uneventful. Completely inspiring and satisfying.

Once I got into the habit of calling venues to determine whether they could accommodate my needs, I became instantly addicted to choice. I had long felt that my allergy-afflicted options were limited- select cuisines, dishes, ingredients-all seemed off limits. When I walked into a restaurant the task of carving out the menu into What The Allergenius Could and Could Not Eat was an overwhelming and anxiety provoking project. If, in addition to the nuts we toss out eggs, dairy, some seeds, some melons, sometimes-apples, kiwi, cherries, not to mention the hidden components of each in sauces, oils, seasonings and so- on eating out turns into a stressful experience. With the exception of cherries and nuts, none of these foods actually induce anaphylaxis, but they do bring on some pretty heavy duty gastrointestinal processes.

When I discovered that my dining-out options multiplied if I took a few minutes to make a few phone calls I found it an effective strategy to suss out a restaurant. Allergic Girl describes it as her "Cheers Experience" and I have certainly taken a page out of her blog.

5 comments:

  1. Haha it was great, and it has a gluten free menu to boot, there are a couple of spots in Boston area, so if you are out there ever that could be an option!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah i'm heading up there for the natural expo in sept...so i'd love to hear what you found out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allergenius, Glad you had such a good experience in my hometown. Next time you are in Boston, consider trying Blue Ginger. It is one of the top ten restaurants in our city (it is actually located in Wellesley, close suburb). Not only is the food amazing, but the restaurant is totally allergy-friendly. The owner, whose son has multiple severe allergies, is a spokesperson for the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis network. They have a book they call "the Bible," which lists all ingredients for all dishes they serve. For things they do not make in the house, they include copies of labels. There is a special procedure in place, described in "the Bible," to flag and process orders of allergic customers, and their orders are served by manager or chef, not by a waiter. I do not have the allergy (my toddler son does), so I have not yet tested it with an actual allergic person, but I do avoid nuts, and when I went for lunch, the waitress was very knowledgeable and responsive to my inquiries. I have also heard that Rialto (in Harvard Square Charles Hotel) is allergy-friendly, but I have not tested it. It is a great restaurant though. Hope you enjoy your visit here in September!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yulika,

    Thanks for the response, I've heard great things about Blue Ginger and my sister actually lives near enough that I should have by now dined there. Will make it a priority on my next trip!

    ReplyDelete